Take a drink:
• Every time you see anthropomorphic food.
• Every time a bell or chime rings.
• Gonzo directly quotes Dickens.
• Rizzo asks Gonzo a question.
• Someone says “Merry Christmas” or “humbug.”
• Kermit’s mouth does that scrunched-up thing where it’s really obvious there’s a hand in his head.
• A Muppet runs frantically from one side of the screen to the other.
• Someone talks about being hungry.
• A genuinely scary ghost appears. (This definitely includes the creepy little-girl Ghost of Christmas Past, and might also include the ghosts of Christmas Present and Future.)
• A character suddenly reverses disposition for comic effect.
Finish your drink when:
• Scrooge’s fiancée Belle sings “When Love Is Gone” (for less drinking, watch the widescreen DVD or the BluRay, both of which cut this song).
• “God bless us, every one!”
– Jay Gabler and discreetly unnamed collaborators